Water is essential to good health. You know that.
Did you know that water intake also benefits your skin and energy levels? Proper hydration can improve your skin, boost energy levels, and provide other health benefits. Here’s what you need to know, along with some tips on how to stay hydrated throughout the day.
Hydration & Skin Health
Your skin is the largest organ in your body. It needs water to stay healthy and nourished. Water helps your skin maintain its elasticity and prevent or lessen wrinkles. It helps flush out toxins and impurities that may cause acne and inflammation. And water regulates your body temperature to prevent overheating, prevent dryness, and to help you heal faster from wounds or infections
Drinking enough water can improve your skin's appearance by making it more radiant, smoother, and softer. One study found that drinking 68 ounces of water per day for four weeks significantly increased skin hydration and reduced skin roughness and scaling. Another study found that drinking 76 liters of water per day for four weeks improved skin density and thickness.
So there you have it…a clear correlation between proper hydration and beautiful, healthy skin!
Tip: check out our favorite infused water recipes with our easy guide to getting enough water based on your body type and activity level.
Hydration & Energy Levels
The health benefits of proper hydration are plentiful, and they don’t stop at nice skin.
Water is extremely important for your energy production and metabolism. You count on water to help with these energy-related actions every day:
- Transports oxygen and nutrients to your cells and organs.
- Removes waste products and carbon dioxide from your body.
- Produces ATP, the main source of cellular energy.
- Regulates your blood pressure and heart rate.
- Balances your electrolytes and pH levels.
Hydration impacts your physical & mental performance as well. It supports your mood and cognitive functions. You’re probably familiar with some of the symptoms of dehydration: fatigue, weakness, dizziness, and headache, all of which can also make you feel irritable, anxious, and depressed. Next time you feel slightly off your game, drink a few cups of water. Rehydrate your system with what it needs most.
Other Health Benefits
Healthy skin and boosted energy are great reasons to stay on top of your daily water routine. Here are some others:
- Can help prevent or relieve constipation, kidney stones, urinary tract infections, and hangovers.
- Water supports your immune system and can help you fight off infections.
- Aids in weight loss and can help with appetite control.
- Protects your joints, and muscles from injury and damage.
- May help reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
Remember, the next time you reach for a beverage, make it water. Your body will thank you for it. Let’s raise a glass (of water, of course) to better health, more radiant skin, and energy that lasts all day!
Here are some tips on how to stay hydrated throughout the day:
- Drink water before, during, and after meals, exercise, and exposure to heat or cold.
- Carry a reusable water bottle with you and refill it often.
- Add some flavor to your water with fruits, herbs, spices, or your favorite tea flavor.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables that have high water content, such as cucumbers, watermelon, lettuce, and oranges.
- Avoid or limit drinks that can dehydrate you, such as alcohol, caffeine, soda, and juice.
Stay hydrated, stay healthy!